Monday, March 12, 2007

The Power of Unction

From last summer:

I was reassured once again, tonight, that God has a sense of humor. And that sometimes that still small voice disappears and becomes that loud, large roar. I have less than two days left at Kanuga Conference Center in North Carolina. I have been working with ninety-eight youth from all over the country during Kanuga’s annual youth week. Tonight has been the highlight of the week as we concluded with a healing service and the sacrament of unction.

I have a nasty habit of judging people. Sometimes I have the tendency to look for people’s negative qualities well before I look for the Christ-light that resides in everyone. We all are the children of God, yet sometimes I forget that and look for those qualities which bother me and get under my skin. There is someone here at this conference, who I will call Steve, and I often look for those negative qualities in him. Steve is a wonderful person who clearly radiates that Christ-light, yet for some reason I close my eyes and see only what I want to see. Although Steve and I have been working well together this week, I often feel on thin ice when I am around him.

During the healing service, as our Chaplain sat alone, I approached Rebecca to ask her to pray for me. I asked to be forgiven and for God to help release those judgmental qualities that I often possess behind the walls of my mind. Rebecca made the sign of the cross on my forehead with oil and as she prayed with me my head went numb. Never in my life have I felt such a strong presence of the Holy Spirit. A few tears appeared as Rebecca finished praying and when I stood up, Steve was right there. Steve was standing right behind me with his arms outstretched to give me a hug. He had no clue what I was praying for but God did. And God made it very clear to me that it was my turn to let my demons go.

 Digg  Del.icio.us  Reddit  SlashDot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello John,

I enjoy reading about your experiences as a leader of our youth and as a person.

I believe one my greatest gifts is having a mutual respect for all of God's people. This was actually one of the benefits of growing up in a small town in MS. My Dad owned the drugstore and my Mom owned a flower and gift shop. Both of them in their dealings with John Q public taught me by example how important it is to see the good in everyone despite their earthly material shortcomings.

Blessings on your journey,
Neel