Friday, July 18, 2008

Arzua to A Rua

We left early and farther behind the other pilgrims today which gave us the feeling of being crowded on the way to Santiago. As we hiked through Arzua, many pilgrims were stumbling sleepily on the Camino and we begin to see that many more than we had crossed over the past three days were making their way to Santiago. We also began to recognize faces and names which helped to create a bond with the other pilgrims, at least the ones who valued us a real and legitimate pilgrims.
It only took a good half hour for my body to begin to feel all of the pain from the many hours of hiking over the last three days. And our group was beginning to look like pilgrims. No longer did everyone sing and dance along the way. We walked by puting one foot painfully in front of the other in silence and in prayer. I began to pray the prayer our group has been using all week to help get me through. The prayer goes as so:

Bless to us, O God, the earth beneath our feet.
Bless to us, O God, the path whereon we go.
Bless to us, O God, the people whom we meet. Amen.

I have been saying this prayer for hours of the last few days but today, it feels new and different. I begin to be able to say other prayers over this prayer and more and more beauty and meaning comes alive. The first time our pilgrims prayed this together, I had no clue how it would work, but now the prayer has become alive and organic and helps me become one with the way. As I pray for the earth I submit to the whole world in the way I live that I open up being compassionate to all that God has created. As I pray for the path whereon we go, I pray for myself, the journey that I am on, and where God is leading me, today, tomorrow, and the rest of my life. And as I pray for the people whom we meet, I pray for all whom I have been blessed to meet in my short life.

I am learning how to pray in silence and in pain as I work on making this journey to Santiago. The road has become far more challenging and difficult but every step and every breathe of this prayer helps me recognize that this journey is just another day in my life and this prayer is all that I need forever. Help me to take care of God´s creation. Help me to take care of myself. And help me to take care of others.
Amen.

And now as I have just walked into A Rui, my feet are badly blistered, but I will walk into Santiago tomorrow in less than twenty four hours hours and tears will probably fill my eyes. And my journey will continue.

 Digg  Del.icio.us  Reddit  SlashDot

No comments: