Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sarria to Portomarin

I am in pretty good shape. I workout several times a week, recently ran a marathon, and have been expecting twenty to thirty kilometers a day to be pretty easy. We started out quite a bit later than we expected having a little bank trouble and finally hit the road by 10:15am.
About noon we came across a truly beautiful 12th century church, te Church of Barbadelo. Pilgrims at this point who we had seen on the path had gotten out to a late start and all bypassed this church, so we walked in, and were completely alone. Our feet were yet to begin hurting and everyone felt drawn to the peace, quiet, and beauty of this wonderful church. Yet we knew we were behind and needed to keep a stride to make it to Portomarin by four in the afternoon.

Most everyone in our group was able to keep a good pace but by two in the afternoon, we had a few who were moving at a much slower speed than I wanted to keep. By this time our group had spread out. I decided to keep the group together by staying the back and found myself walking much slower than I wanted. I keep reminding myself to be loving and sympathetic but I was becoming frustrated. I know deep down that it is not about my pace, and this is not my time to enjoy being alone, yet I have to keep myself going with this mantra: "Jesus, help me love others!" It sounds simple, but it so easy for me to forget to lend a helping hand when others struggle. Is today about helping me slow down? Am I learning that my time is not always God´s time and helping others is for more important that helping myself? By 4pm we finally arrive in Portomarin almost an hour behind the others and cross the scenic bridge into the old town. Those who have been struggling seem happier than ever to have arrived at our hotel 22.75km later and more satisfied than myself, which in a way is a true blessing and gift. At the end of the day, hearing the sense of accomplishment of everyone is teaching me that pace is not imporant but the way we help others is.

 Digg  Del.icio.us  Reddit  SlashDot

No comments: